Published by Decipher.
Yield data can reveal a comprehensive picture of variable conditions across a paddock, however getting the most out of it and interpreting the data can often be difficult.
Yield data can:
- Highlight under-performing or loss-making areas, and allows for targeted improvements or other actions to increase efficiency
- Identifty the most profitable areas, which can then be examined to find out what characteristics it has that other areas don’t
- Provide a way of evaluating the effectiveness of agronomy changes or management, and understand how the different practices performed
- Be viewed as a Replacement Map – replace the nutrients that have been removed to grow the crop
- Enable you to make informed management decisions for the succeeding crop
- Provide the basis for variable rate application
Here’s how to get the most out of your yield data:
- Upload and save your data
You’ve probably been collecting yield data for a number of years, but may have struggled to pull it all together and effectively utilise it to make informed decisions. For many growers, their yield data is sitting on USB sticks, data cards or just left in the monitor. A great place to start is by uploading and saving the data into a platform.
Decipher’s Yield Data product allows you to easily upload, save and view yield data for multiple seasons from a wide range of yield monitors including John Deere, CNH Industrial, Ag Leader, CLAAS and others.
2. Check the data for errors
In order to get a clear and accurate picture of what actually happened with your crop, you need clean and reliable yield data. Yield data straight off the monitor might be imperfect for a number of reasons such as your machinery not being properly calibrated, signal and grain flow delays, and start and end pass delays. Therefore, it’s important to remove as many of the errors in the data as possible before using it to make decisions.
Decipher’s Yield Cleaning service processes the inconsistent and patchy data, and smooths out the data points, creating accurate yield data and images that you can rely on.
3. Analyse data
“A yield monitor is a great tool for collecting data and showing you what actually took place in field. The interpretation of the data is what will lead you to change management practices.”
– Grant Mangold
Armed with clean yield data you can start to get a better understanding of what happened that season by comparing crop performance with your other data layers, enabling you to take the appropriate steps to improve and precisely target your variability.
With Decipher, you can easily store, overlay and merge all of your data in the one place, making it easy to visualise and analyse. By overlaying your yield data with biomass imagery, soil and plant sample results, management zones, and crop and nutrition plans, you can start to analyse trends, and identify and precisely address variability.
When analysing your yield data, you should ask:
- How did my nutrition program relate or compare to yield this year?
- What parts of the paddock yielded the most/least? Why? What are the characteristics of those areas?
- Did the in-season application, or different rates make a difference? Did I get a return on my investment?
- How did this year compare to previous years? Are there any trends?
- Was the lime application justified? Was there a yield difference between normal and low pH levels?
- How did my varieties perform across the farm, and how can I better place them next season?
- What’s causing the variation?
- How does the variation compare to peak season biomass imagery? If it correlates should I consider variable rate applications?
- Based on the trends, is the variability likely to occur next year? How can I better manage this paddock?
- What can I do to address the variability?
Yield maps can be one of the best sources of data for defining management zones within a paddock. With Decipher, you can create management zones and prescription maps with clean yield data, allowing you to take the appropriate steps for a more precise application to target your variability.
- Sign-up to Decipher for FREE!
- Find out how Decipher’s Yield products work
- Find out more about Decipher’s Management Zones
- Log in to my Decipher Account
Don’t miss another update!
- Decipher on LinkedIn
- Decipher on Twitter
- Decipher on Facebook
- Decipher on YouTube
- Latest news, tips, insights and updates here