Hear from Decipher’s CEO, @AnthonyDoWalker, CEO of @_WABSI @GuyBoggs, and CEO of @MineralsCouncil, Tania Constable, on why the future of mine rehabilitation is here and what this means for industry players and stakeholders https://t.co/QBYQxJDHQ4 pic.twitter.com/OYk3haOIHD
— Decipher (@Decipher_tech) November 7, 2019
Together, with 50 other leading mining companies, government and research partners, Decipher will be helping drive transformational change to enable regions and communities to transition to a prosperous and sustainable post mine future through the CRC-TiME.
Mine closure is an integral part of the mining industry affecting operations, suppliers, communities, ecosystems and governments, and transforming mining economies to enable Australian regions and their communities to build a successful post mine future is a growing challenge:
- The social and economic landscape for mining is changing in line with community expectations
- Mechanisms for collaboratively building a shared vision of post mine options need improvement to secure a better future for investment in Australian jobs and resources, and create a genuine and enduring partnership between regional businesses, communities, governments and mining companies
- The broader community’s expectations of the mining sector are high. Addressing them will ensure the mining sector continues to contribute strongly to the national economy and Australian society
Addressing industry issues through a national partnership
With only a few examples of successful mine closure in Australia, there is considerable uncertainty in closure-related investment, planning and decision making.
A 10-year, national and collaborative CRC for Transformations in Mining Economies (CRC-TiME) has been established to help the industry drive progressive rehabilitation, and enable effective closure and relinquishment of mine sites.
CRC-TiME will provide all the stakeholders involved with the closure, relinquishment and creation of a post-mine regional future with new tools and technologies to make better decisions and lower residual risk into the future.
In addition, CRC TiME will address a siloed and fragmented approach to closure research through two cross cutting themes. The CRC will network a series of national demonstration sites to test solutions that are scalable and transferable and will implement shared data and systems integration policies to promote transparency across sites, companies, governments, researchers and the public.
Who’s involved in CRC-TiME?
- Newmont Goldcorp
- Rio Tinto
- EcilPlant Australia
- Geoscience Australia
- Supervising Scientist
- WA Government
- QLD Government
- NT Government
- WA Biodiversity Science Institute
- NRM: Rangelands, PHCC
- Regional Development: PDC
- SW RDA, Regional Implementation Committee (Pilbara)
- University of Queensland
- University of Western Australia
- University of South Australia
- University of Adelaide
- Curtin University
- Murdoch University
- Flinders University
- Federation University
- University of Reading (UK)
How are Decipher helping drive transformational change?
Decipher is an award-winning cloud platform that is driving sustainability, productivity and improvements in mine closure and rehabilitation, tailings storage facilities, precision agriculture and waste monitoring.
DecipherGreen brings together functionality and capability across regulatory reporting, agricultural technology and mining technology to provide mining companies with the data and insights needed to ensure they are meeting their environmental obligations and compliance.